Saturday, February 18, 2012

A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang Review by JesykaJames


Review for A Brush of Darkness by Allison Pang



Title: A Brush of Darkness
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Pages: 343
Format: Paperback
Source: The Book Depository
Release Date: January 25th 2011
Publisher: Pocket
Series: Yes
No. in Series: 1




Synopsis: The man of her dreams might be the cause of her nightmares. Six months ago, Abby Sinclair was struggling to pick up the pieces of her shattered life. Now, she has an enchanted iPod, a miniature unicorn living in her underwear drawer, and a magical marketplace to manage. But despite her growing knowledge of the OtherWorld, Abby isn’t at all prepared for Brystion, the dark, mysterious, and sexy-as- sin incubus searching for his sister, convinced Abby has the key to the succubus’s whereabouts. Abby has enough problems without having this seductive shape-shifter literally invade her dreams to get information. But when her Faery boss and some of her friends vanish, as well, Abby and Brystion must form an uneasy alliance. As she is sucked deeper and deeper into this perilous world of faeries, angels, and daemons, Abby realizes her life is in as much danger as her heart—and there’s no one she can trust to save her.


My Review: Okay, so I really enjoyed this book, and would like to say right off the bat, that I have already ordered number two in the series. It will be released in 11 days, so yay!!! (You can all look forward to that review very soon :) )

I really liked the main female character, Abby. She was a little bit of a scatterbrain, but I really liked that she wasn't all hey-I'll-sacrifice-myself-for-you, what I mean by that, is that though she was willing to die for her friends if she had to, she still fought to the very end. Didn't just give up halfway like a lot of heroins do, only to be saved by the hero. Yes, she was saved by the hero, but she fought, and I really liked that. There were a lot of side characters, and sometimes I felt like the book might have been originally written in third person, because it felt like all of the side characters had stories too, but they can't really be told in the first person POV. Perhaps there will be a spin off?

I also really loved Phineas, the chihuahua-like miniature-Unicorn who is obsessed with humping legs, biting asses, playing World of Warcraft (how does he do that with hoofs???) and sleeping in underwear drawers. He got some pretty good one-liners, and I would love to see more of him in the second book, perhaps he could fall in love with a cat or something, that would really amuse me. :P

One thing that I must say did frustrate me a little was the similarity in names for a few of the characters. There was Brystion, the male lead. Brandon, the werewolf. And Brigadun, a WOW playing daemon cross-dresser. I loved how broody and bad tempered Brystion was, he won me over with his self-loathing charm.

Also, I REALLY want an enchanted iPod!!! That is genius, now if only there were some way that we could take that from the mind of Allison Pang and sell it to Microsoft to market. I would buy one, for sure :P

I think my fav part of the book was the end of it, I don't want to give too much away, but it was a little different to the usual. Didn't give me that happily-ever-after that most books (especially of the PR genre) have been going for lately.

The world-building needs a little more work, but I think things will really come together in the next book. There are still a lot of mysteries going on that I think will make a really interesting second installment. Glad I don't have long to wait for the next one.

So, anyway, I have to say I am a fan of the series so far. Book one was a good begining, I think, and I look forward to reading more about Abby Sinclair, her enchanted iPod and her ass biting, chihuahua sized Unicorn.

Rating: Okay, so with the new Review Rating System, I give this book 2 bookmarks out of 5
(Remember, with the new system, the lower the rating the better :) )



Posted By: JesykaJames

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Email: pages2crave@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated :D